Sunday, August 16, 2009

Life Lessons From A Rock In Taylor: 2009 Edition

















































































































I am back in France. Jen and the kids should arrive sometime next week. We went to DFW for a few days and celebrated Lilly's birthday and then spent most of our time in Colorado. Jen can attest that I always build this trip up to an impossible level of expectation. This year was no different, and it was not perfect. That being said if there is every such a thing as a perfectly not perfect trip, well Colorado 2009 fits the bill.
This year we literally could have gone anywhere. The nice thing about Europe is you are just about in the middle of the world. US is 10 hours away. Asia is about 12 hours away. South Africa is 10 hours away. I caught a bunch of grief in the office about going to the US for the holidays, but I simply told them, "I don't miss my Colorado trip." This has been true for years. I don't know another place in the world where you can see your kids do the same thing you did 30 years ago and they have the same smile as you did when you were doing it. I don't know a place in the world where a 30 year + man can watch his 80 year + Grandmother go fishing like she has been doing for probably 50 years. I don't know a place in the world where a retired preacher can hold an audience on Sunday morning like the one in Tin Cup. I don't know a place in the world where a Grandmother can't stand not being with here grandkids so much that she drives 1600 miles for a 4 day visit. I don't know a place in the world that exists like the house on Spring Creek and until I do, well world you can have my extended weekends, but you don't have a puncher's chance in having my summer vacation.

No comments: