Sunday, May 3, 2009

April Moments





This is my movie star pose in Cannes. As you can see, my fan base is somewhat limited.










This is the cast of Pinocchio. The cast is a group of real up and comers. I took Jen to this play. Funny enough, the theater looks a little like my flat.











No comment and possibly the main reason for my upcoming divorce.










My cool date for the day.







Heaven for a 3 year old.








It has been a long time since my last post. I have been really busy and we took a few days and headed down to Nice (on the Mediterrean Sea). I have put a few pictures of our trip for viewing. We stayed in Nice, but we took a car up and down the coast. If you ever get down to this part of France, I strongly suggest seeing Eze Village and St. Paul de Vence. Both places are a photographers dream. The weather is still a bit cool in Paris, but we are starting to get at least some sunny days here and there. May is going to be busy. Jen's Mom comes in this week and we have planned a trip to Normandy and Mt. Saint Michel. Later this month, I have a conference in London and I think the gang is going to tag along with me on this as well. Overall, we are starting to see some of the things that Paris has to offer and even getting out to see some different parts of France and Europe.

I am staying pretty busy with work. I went to Africa a couple times in April. All my travels were safe, but I went to Angola which is probably the worst country I have ever seen. Angola is one of the world's largest exporters of oil. They have the ability to export 2 million barrels a day of high quality crude. It does not take a PhD in math to begin to see the money that is flowing out of this country. Unfortunately, the living conditions are worse than terrible. No clean water, no normal electricity usage in the entire city of 5 million people (Luanda), terrible infrastructure, polluted, expensive (breakfast for two was $80 USD), and mosquitos fly around like no tomorrow to top it all off. It is simply the worst thing I have seen since going to Africa. This country has written the book on corruption. I was having dinner with a partner of ours one night and he was telling me how he and his family ran from the rebels in the south during the civil war. For reference, he was younger than I am. It is amazing that we live in a world that still has to deal with these type of circumstances. It was quite an eye opening experience to see poverty on this type of scale.

At the end of my trip in Angola, I went to Cape Town for another set of meetings. Cape Town is amazing. It is the most first world city I have seen in Africa. It is clean, beautiful, and there is a ton of stuff to do. I took a bag full of information back with me as we are looking at going back in 2010.

Overall, things are going well. We were having lunch in a cafe in Nice and they were playing Willie Nelson songs. It reminded me of home. It reminded me of home so much that I went to the hotel later that day and booked all of our trips back to the US this year. I think in 60 or so days we are going to need a taste of home. We think of our family and friends often.
I will do better on posting.
























































































































No comments: