Saturday, May 23, 2009

She Will Go To The Moon

Rocky II. Rudy. Seabiscuit. Cinderella Man. Hoosiers. Jenni.


The ultimate movie underdog list (except for the last one). You have to the love the story of the underdog. Their stories are my favorite movies. I can watch Rocky II 100 times in a row and probably cry 100% of the time at the end of the movie. The same for Rudy. They are the stories of "no", but the characters of "why not?" They are cheesy and I know it, but I can't help it. I am a sucker this stuff.
This week with a little nudge, Jen has taken on the role of the underdog and has choosen to embark on an incredible journey. I give you the Jungfrau Marathon (http://www.jungfrau-marathon.ch/ws/en/). The marathon starts in the Swiss Alps at 1650 ft of altitude and ends at 6500 ft of altitude. The last 13 miles are basically switchbacks up mountainS. Notice I said, mountain with an S because there more than one mountain. For reference, Denver "The Mile High City" is roughly 5200 ft in altitude.
Now comes our part. In every underdog story, there is the supporting cast. In Rocky, there was Mic and Adrian. In Rudy, there was the maintenance man and the math tutor. They don't win the Oscar, but they make the movie:
Rocky II-
Rocky has stopped training because Adrian had the baby early. He has all but given up on the upcoming fight with Apollo Creed. She wakes up from the coma and says:
Adrian: There's one thing I want you to do for me.
Rocky Balboa: What's that?
Adrian: Win.
Adrian: Win!
After the fight:
Rocky Balboa: Yea, I love yous too. I just also wanna thank God. Except for my kid bein' born, this is the greatest night in the history of my life. I just wanna say one thing to my wife who's home: YO, ADRIAN! I DID IT!
Rudy:
Rudy: Coach I just wanted to thank you for letting be a part of this football program this year.
Ara Parseghian: Rudy, I never I thought I'd be saying this but it's been an honor.
Rudy: But I've come to realize that God made some people out to be football players and that I'm not one of them.
Ara Parseghian: I wish God would put your heart in some of my players bodies.
Rudy: [laughs] Yea, I have this wish to let my father watch one of his sons play football for the Irish and I was wondering if I could possibly dress for one game next season?
Ara Parseghian: Rudy the NCAA is really strict with this 60 player rule, and in some positions we only have one backup and you know that every year we are competing for the national championship. Is this wish just for your father?
Rudy: No its for everyone who told me that being a Norte Dame Football player would be impossible. My brothers, the guys I work with at the mill they can't come to practice and see that I am a part of this team.
Ara Parseghian: [sighs] OK.
Rudy: OK?
Ara Parseghian: You deserve it. You will dress for one game next season.
Rudy: [can barely hold in his excitement] Thank You Coach!
Seriously, I am emotional just reading these lines. I can do this all day, but you all have better things to do on a Saturday. The question is will you be the supporting cast in Jenni's movie? I hope that you will be. Notes, words of encouragement, and motivational quotes are welcomed for the next several months as she begins to train. The race is in early September (5th I think).
PS--Remind her to stretch on a daily basis for at least 45 minutes.
Outcome unknown, she has choosen to go to the moon.

No comments: