Sunday, June 21, 2009

What Can You Do In 63 Million Seconds?

As I set the keys down on the counter, I headed to the refrigerator for a bottle of 16 oz. water. I am cheap so it wasn't real bottled water, just refilled bottle water. I was wearing a blue GAP polo shirt and a pair of torn Levi's (I told you that I was cheap). Jen and I had just come back from the movies. As I approached the den, my mother-in-law said that I needed to call my mom and that my Grandmother had a stroke. Immediately following;

Brain: What did she just say?

Brain: Ask her to repeat what she just said.

Brain: Which Grandmother?

Brain: Why are there the sounds of train sirens in my head?

Brain: Ask her which Grandmother.

Brain: Someone, please stop the sirens.

Brain: SPEAK. TALK.

Actual conversation: silence.

I can count on two fingers actual nights that I have never slept a single minute. The first was when I was at A&M and completely unprepared for my Finance final. The second, Father's Day 2007.

So, Happy Father's Day to everyone.

Happy Stroke Day to Gramma. There are no cards for such an occasion although I can come up with a few just sitting here. Maybe having Micheal Phelps on the cover saying "Nice Stroke Recovery" or something. I don't take it lightly knowing that strokes kill 150,000 family members a year, but you have to celebrate the victories against such an event and I assure you this was a clear cut victory. She is in much better shape than the faded GAP shirt and the jeans that I have thrown away long ago.

No comments: